Skip to main content

5 天

The night before, after clubbing, we had gone to a late night congee place that served big bowls of congee and then whatever sides you picked out. It was glorious, and I knew that would become my late night eating place. Of course, the night ended at four or five in the morning so our Sunday started very late.

Daisy and I went to Gongguan again, as I wanted to check out Chen San Ding, rumored to be the best boba in Taipei. Their boba was made with straight milk, no tea, and the boba balls were soaked in brown honey. I’d seen the line before, but as I was quickly learning, lines in Taiwan were mostly a good thing, as they signaled good food. Plus, the lines were always fast moving and well organized, and I find myself suspending the “no lines” rules in Taiwan often. Anyway, Chen San Ding boba turned out to taste basically almost exactly like Half and Half, or Class 302, but without the large chubby cups. Delicious, but not exactly mind blowing.

What was killer, was the gua bao place right across the alley, a spot that Robert pointed out. The buns are filled with fatty pork, lean pork, or a mix of both. I’d swing by for the boba, but definitely go out of the way for the gua bao.

Afterwards, we took a quick detour to the temple where Robert’s mother’s ashes were being kept. It turned out to be a beautiful oasis in the busy city, and the temple was perfectly peaceful and quiet. All the temples in Taipei were of great interest to me, and I liked to know what each one specialized in. Such as the aforementioned Love Temple, or one for students trying to score well on their tests. All of the temples are left open, as nobody would dare steal or desecrate these spaces. Or that was the explanation I was given when I asked why there were never any guards by day or night.

Our afternoon ended with a stop by Ice Monster, which shares much of the same menu as Smoothie House, which Frank and I frequented a lot on our trip. The original Ice Monster was started by a couple but after their acrimonious split, they became two locations. There are probably loyalists for each side, but any shaved mango ice is good shaved mango ice to me.

To wrap up our night, it was a quick visit to the Breeze Center Mall and then a viewing of Gone Girl, which was my second viewing. And I promptly fell asleep through some of it. Whoops.

Popular posts from this blog

6 天

I don’t know when Din Tai Fung became Taiwan’s number one export — at least in pop culture — but I guess it’s better than all the “Made in Taiwan” jokes from thirty years ago. When we were here in September, one of Frank’s main goals was to eat at a Din Tai Fung but we thought there were only two locations and I refused to stand in the extended lines for something that I could easily eat in LA. Plus, Din Tai Fung’s thing is that it’s supposed to be precisely uber-consistent at every location. Why stand in line? However I did acquiesce to going to the Taipei 101 location in the middle of the night when nobody else was there and taking photos with the red Din Tai Fung sign. Little did we know that there are Din Tai Fungs everywhere and if you time it correctly, the wait is only fifteen minutes or so. So Monday night was my first taste of Taiwan Din Tai Fung and my basic takeaway is that while it was pretty good — the non-dumpling stuff was a revelation — the thing I lusted for most wa

0 天

Despite being born in Taiwan thirty plus years ago, I can’t say I know much about it. Sure, we grew up here, and there are loads of childhood memories and just enough early life immersion for things to feel familiar when we visited periodically, but I can’t say it drummed up much emotion either way. That is until 2002, when I came back  after a long hiatus and spent a little over a week feeling worse and worse about Taiwan. By the end of that trip, I was hunkered down in mosquito netting at my grandfather’s watching movies all day, emerging only to visit a smoky Internet cafe for a few minutes. By the time we left, I vowed to never return. (I even turned down a trip to Taiwan a few years ago, with some of my favorite people, on the grounds that Taiwan was not for me.) Fast forward twelve years, to this past September, when I finally re-visited, accompanying my childhood friend as he came back to take care of some family business. During those ten days, I/we fell absolutely in love w

TPE 101: The Guide

So this blog never finished. My first thirty days of Taipei turned into one-and-a-half years, and then I never got around to updating this blog. But since so many people ask me about Taiwan, here is my general use guide which I'll just post here. (By "so many" I mean more than three.) It's half touristy, half not. I'm sure you'll cover the basics in any guide book, so I tried to stray from most of those recommendations and highlights. For context please keep in mind that I am me. Weird hours, late nights, anti-scenery, and hate crowds/people. So moving on... Note: I lived right near Zhongxiao Xinshen MRT right about, so most of the stuff I was familiar with was kind of central Taipei. In general, the blue MRT line goes east to west and goes to most of the stuff I’m talking about… Keep in mind there is Taipei proper and then New Taipei, which is akin to say, San Francisco and then Inner Sunset, etc. Also, as I learned from my friend's LV Taipei Guide