Skip to main content

4 天

On Saturday, I met up with another friend that I had met during our last trip, Angie. Since she knew about my predilection for noodles, we went to a beef noodle spot near her old college. The day was hot and muggy, and she wasn’t feeling particularly well after a weekend spent on a high mountain hike. The whole day stretched ahead so after eating, we took ourselves over to Xinyi (again) to catch a showing of Dracula Untold. This was my first proper Taiwanese movie experience and I have to go into the differences.

First, there are lines for the line. You buy your ticket and then wait around until about five minutes before your movie, and then they let you in. You can reserve your tickets beforehand, but you need to pick up at least thirty minutes in advance, otherwise you lose them. Also, all the seats are assigned seating, which is nice. And if you go to the major theaters, they are invariably very crowded.

The great thing though, is that despite the packed houses, people are not talking or doing obnoxious things during the movie. I dread going to watch movies in America with other people, but in Taiwan, it’s quiet and respectful. Also, they mix salty and sweet (caramel) popcorn together into the same tub. That small innovation is just outstanding. I do miss the major butter and salt I usually throw onto my popcorn, but the sugar and salt mix are totally worth the trade off.

When the movie ended, we were starving so took up Angie’s friend’s recommendation to go upstairs to Eslite Cafe. It goes without saying that everyone I’ve met in Taiwan, before or since, I’ve seen in person like once before we became “friends." The intervening month served as getting to know you time, through the power of social media, texting, and Facebook. While sometimes that initial re-meet is awkward, it usually just serves as an extension of a friendship began online.

That’s how most of my friendships are nowadays, the new ones. Meet once or twice, likely in a group. Exchange information. A barrage of digital conversation, and then an eventual re-meet to seal the deal and become “real" friends.

After a nap, I had plans to go out with Daisy and her cousins. And boy does she have cousins. Veronica and I met Daisy and her family in the Xinyin area (again again) and we attempted to get into Spark, one of the more popular mega-clubs. Before that though, we visited Barcode to meet and greet everyone: what seemed like ten of Daisy’s Taiwan cousins. She also had other visitors from the U.S. so it ended up being a decently sized group. The problem was, Spark wasn’t letting people in until 1AM, and we were there at least an hour and a half early.

Even after going to 7-Eleven and housing some drinks — you can drink on the streets in Taiwan — we still had plenty of time. Then, disaster of disasters, right as we decided to leave Spark, the elevators to the floor started emptying out with scores of cops. A month ago, right after I left, there had been a fight outside Spark and a police officer was stabbed and killed. Since then, the cops had been showing up at the clubs around 1-2 AM to check IDs and to generally show everyone that they were pissed off. Rumor had it that the gangs were hiding the attacker, and the police would continue to interrupt nightlife operations until the suspect was turned over. What that meant, in practice, was that all of Xinyin was shut down for about an hour each night.

Unfortunately, we were stuck upstairs by the elevator area when the cops came, and couldn’t get out until 2AM, after at least a hundred cops had flooded into Spark. At that point, we worked our way to Chess, a louge that was rumored to have good music and dancing. Daisy (and I) had been Tindering all week and one of the dudes she met was the DJ at Chess. So upon his advice, and with his help, we got into the spot and ended up having a successful night out.

Popular posts from this blog

6 天

I don’t know when Din Tai Fung became Taiwan’s number one export — at least in pop culture — but I guess it’s better than all the “Made in Taiwan” jokes from thirty years ago. When we were here in September, one of Frank’s main goals was to eat at a Din Tai Fung but we thought there were only two locations and I refused to stand in the extended lines for something that I could easily eat in LA. Plus, Din Tai Fung’s thing is that it’s supposed to be precisely uber-consistent at every location. Why stand in line? However I did acquiesce to going to the Taipei 101 location in the middle of the night when nobody else was there and taking photos with the red Din Tai Fung sign. Little did we know that there are Din Tai Fungs everywhere and if you time it correctly, the wait is only fifteen minutes or so. So Monday night was my first taste of Taiwan Din Tai Fung and my basic takeaway is that while it was pretty good — the non-dumpling stuff was a revelation — the thing I lusted for most wa

0 天

Despite being born in Taiwan thirty plus years ago, I can’t say I know much about it. Sure, we grew up here, and there are loads of childhood memories and just enough early life immersion for things to feel familiar when we visited periodically, but I can’t say it drummed up much emotion either way. That is until 2002, when I came back  after a long hiatus and spent a little over a week feeling worse and worse about Taiwan. By the end of that trip, I was hunkered down in mosquito netting at my grandfather’s watching movies all day, emerging only to visit a smoky Internet cafe for a few minutes. By the time we left, I vowed to never return. (I even turned down a trip to Taiwan a few years ago, with some of my favorite people, on the grounds that Taiwan was not for me.) Fast forward twelve years, to this past September, when I finally re-visited, accompanying my childhood friend as he came back to take care of some family business. During those ten days, I/we fell absolutely in love w

TPE 101: The Guide

So this blog never finished. My first thirty days of Taipei turned into one-and-a-half years, and then I never got around to updating this blog. But since so many people ask me about Taiwan, here is my general use guide which I'll just post here. (By "so many" I mean more than three.) It's half touristy, half not. I'm sure you'll cover the basics in any guide book, so I tried to stray from most of those recommendations and highlights. For context please keep in mind that I am me. Weird hours, late nights, anti-scenery, and hate crowds/people. So moving on... Note: I lived right near Zhongxiao Xinshen MRT right about, so most of the stuff I was familiar with was kind of central Taipei. In general, the blue MRT line goes east to west and goes to most of the stuff I’m talking about… Keep in mind there is Taipei proper and then New Taipei, which is akin to say, San Francisco and then Inner Sunset, etc. Also, as I learned from my friend's LV Taipei Guide