Skip to main content

3 天

Friday was "hunting for hipsters" day. We’d both read that the hipster area of Taipei was Zhongxiao Dunhua so Daisy and I took the subway over. Turns out, as suspected, there are no hipsters in that area, at least not like the ones we have in the U.S.. Uniqlo loomed on one side of the street, along with other major shopping chains, and on the other side, laid out in a grid of streets, were various smaller stores. That was the hipster area, but the storefronts were also peppered with brands like Nike, Burton, and other familiar names. No hipsters to be found, even if the people shopping here were definitely different in their style and dress.

From what I could gather, anything slightly non-mainstream was dubbed “hipster,” even if that divorces the term from anything it might stand for in America. Does irony even exist here? Anyway, anyone who would call Zhongxiao Dunhua “hipster” has clearly never been to New York or San Francisco. We took in a little corner of shops collectively owned by Very Very Good, VVG, which included shops dedicated to curios like odl books, old trinkets, and fabric store.

Early on, one of my main interests about Taipei was figuring out where the sub-cultures were. Where were the artists? Where do the teens hang out? Are there hipsters? Where is the gay population? (“My gym,” my friend deadpanned.) And why are there seemingly no homeless people anywhere?

After chowing down on some snacks, including a quite delicious honeycomb ice cream, Daisy and I parted ways. I had dinner back at grandpa’s house, with everyone from my mom’s side of the family.

The day I landed, I had popped over to the house and was surprised to meet my mom’s older sister. While we had briefly met once before, many years ago in Hong Kong, this aunt was someone I didn’t know at all. When the Communists took over China, a lot of families were torn apart and my mom’s was no exception. She had older two sisters who fled to Hong Kong and then stayed there. We didn’t learn this fact until much later, so we always thought my mom came from a family of five kids, as opposed to seven.

Her younger brother, my uncle, was also visiting Taiwan from San Diego, so he was there too, along with my oldest uncle and aunt and cousin from that side of the family. My grandpa is ninety-eight years old, and didn’t remember me at all, even after we wrote my name down and tried to show him.

Post-dinner, I took a ride to the Xinyi District to meet my friend Roland, who was the main motivating factor for my move to Taiwan. I had forgotten that Roland was even in Taiwan until I got a Facebook message from him when I was here a month ago. Turned out, Roland had been here for three years, working for his family and also taking Mandarin classes. After our night or two of hanging out, and me grilling him about his program, I was all in.

The entire Xinyi area was thick with shoppers, similar to lower Midtown Manhattan. This Friday was the first big shopping day of the season at the department stores. If you spent enough, you got gift certificates to spend more later. Roland’s girlfriend was shopping for pots and pans and we followed her around as I took in the consumer frenzy.

Popular posts from this blog

6 天

I don’t know when Din Tai Fung became Taiwan’s number one export — at least in pop culture — but I guess it’s better than all the “Made in Taiwan” jokes from thirty years ago. When we were here in September, one of Frank’s main goals was to eat at a Din Tai Fung but we thought there were only two locations and I refused to stand in the extended lines for something that I could easily eat in LA. Plus, Din Tai Fung’s thing is that it’s supposed to be precisely uber-consistent at every location. Why stand in line? However I did acquiesce to going to the Taipei 101 location in the middle of the night when nobody else was there and taking photos with the red Din Tai Fung sign. Little did we know that there are Din Tai Fungs everywhere and if you time it correctly, the wait is only fifteen minutes or so. So Monday night was my first taste of Taiwan Din Tai Fung and my basic takeaway is that while it was pretty good — the non-dumpling stuff was a revelation — the thing I lusted for most wa

0 天

Despite being born in Taiwan thirty plus years ago, I can’t say I know much about it. Sure, we grew up here, and there are loads of childhood memories and just enough early life immersion for things to feel familiar when we visited periodically, but I can’t say it drummed up much emotion either way. That is until 2002, when I came back  after a long hiatus and spent a little over a week feeling worse and worse about Taiwan. By the end of that trip, I was hunkered down in mosquito netting at my grandfather’s watching movies all day, emerging only to visit a smoky Internet cafe for a few minutes. By the time we left, I vowed to never return. (I even turned down a trip to Taiwan a few years ago, with some of my favorite people, on the grounds that Taiwan was not for me.) Fast forward twelve years, to this past September, when I finally re-visited, accompanying my childhood friend as he came back to take care of some family business. During those ten days, I/we fell absolutely in love w

TPE 101: The Guide

So this blog never finished. My first thirty days of Taipei turned into one-and-a-half years, and then I never got around to updating this blog. But since so many people ask me about Taiwan, here is my general use guide which I'll just post here. (By "so many" I mean more than three.) It's half touristy, half not. I'm sure you'll cover the basics in any guide book, so I tried to stray from most of those recommendations and highlights. For context please keep in mind that I am me. Weird hours, late nights, anti-scenery, and hate crowds/people. So moving on... Note: I lived right near Zhongxiao Xinshen MRT right about, so most of the stuff I was familiar with was kind of central Taipei. In general, the blue MRT line goes east to west and goes to most of the stuff I’m talking about… Keep in mind there is Taipei proper and then New Taipei, which is akin to say, San Francisco and then Inner Sunset, etc. Also, as I learned from my friend's LV Taipei Guide